Overview of TunnelBear
- This provides both paid and free service to a user of a different category. The price they offer is fantastic especially if you commit for a year. With a usage cap, the free starter plan lets anyone try out the service as it’s full of capabilities.
- Tunnelbear founded in 2011 by Ryan Dochuk(Corporate Bear) and Daniel Kaldor(Quantum bear). Before this, both had worked explicitly with big IT giants like Microsoft, RIM, and Goldman Sachs to gain tech world experience.
- This company is based out from Toronto and now spread across the globe with 20 countries. They have servers North and South America, Europe, Asia and Australia.
- This VPNs have emerged as key tools in the battle for online privacy. This is a battle Canada-Based Tunnelbear has been helping with over the past few years and acting as shield your location and identity on the web.
- Effective customer service. Tunnelbear VPN services are compatible with all major devices likeWindows, Android, Mac, iOS, and routers. Also, you can access it from desktop, laptop, smartphone, tablet, even using the router.
- It can kill switch and five simultaneous connections. It is unique in working like a fail-safe.This ensures that you never have to compromise on your privacy and anonymity. It also ensures that your personal information is never ever leaked.
- GhostBear is TunnelBear’s VPN obfuscation technology which disguises OpenVPN traffic to help people get around firewalls.
- Tunnelbear explicitly doesn’t share the IP address visiting our websites.
- They do not share IP address upon service connection, DNS queries while connected. Even they do not share any information about the applications, services or websites their user use while connected to the service.
- This is a very good aspect for privacy-conscious users. It means VPN isn’t selling any of your data.
- Tunnelbear uses industry standard Open VPN encryption on Windows, Mac, Android devices. Recent iOS versions get IPsec/IKEv2.
- Tunnelbear comes with a nice feature.
- It comes with a 500mb free plan which can enable its user test the network first before using it. Although it’ssmall but it will help its user to have a check out on the app and can do some speed check.
- Tunnelbear is all about making VPN use as easy as possible for its user. They have stable apps for Windows, Mac, Android and iOS. They also have browser extension for both chrome and Opera. Also, a tracker-blocking extension to help all the services.
- It is very easy to use the Tunnelbear app. It is very simple and easy to use. May not be having the advantage like other high-end VPN but if you’re a just getting started with encrypted data it will make the process simpler for you.
- Netflix can be used Tunnelbear VPN.
- Speed Problem while using EU Servers. When it comes to speed testing the 100 Mbps links dropped down to 52 Mbps in EU Servers although some users reported very good speed.
- No Torrent download option. Lots of people use VPN for torrenting, for added security and to keep their ISPs from snooping on what they are doing. Tunnelbear says no to torrent feature as of now.
- Support is available only via ticket facility, you have to mail support team for any issue so obviously,sometime delay toward resolution of your problem. No live chat or toll-free customer care to take care of instant calls.
- Tunnelbear VPN doesn’t support installing its software directly on the router. If you are installing on the router that will increase your protection level.
- It is based in Canada so it does not work with the US Netflix which is a major drawback for this.
- It is based in Canada so it asks all users not to break any of its local laws. Only for this reason technically it does not permit person to person (P2P) torrenting. This is not the ideal VPN service to use if you need a VPN for Bit Torrent.
It is a Canadian VPN which is endorsed by a number of high profile websites. The subscribers who come underpaid plans they can access to all of the servers. The Australian users cannot be accessed on the free plan because they are only available to paid users.
Tunnel bear comes along with some attractive features.
- Anonymous IP
- Kill- Switch
- 5 concurrent connection
Some Website are blocking traffic coming from a VPN. It’s strange. But Tunnel bear’sGhost Bear feature does its best to hide that you are using VPN. By default, it uses to show you what you want to see. Where are you, the tunnel you are using and from where you are browsing. The same feature with the browser extension.
Tunnelbear offers a good leak protection feature which is called as thevigilant bear. When there is no active VPN connection this feature will act as a kill switch to block all traffic. If your connection gets disturbed due to any reason, TunnelBear will block all unsecured connection until it is connected safely back to network. Always on is feature connects on startup and no need to reconnect in case of restart.
They do have independent audit organization to audit their VPN Security. This is rather a rare thing in the industries and it takes a lot of humility for Tunnelbear to give this sort of service. You can online access their audit report which they used to publish. Although they are the best in the market but doing their best to be the top in the market.
TunnelBear offers three pricing plans for users that is little, Giant, and Grizzly.
- It is always an attractive way to check a free option in any VPN provider. You can use this to check the app and the service. Tunnelbear comes up with a 500 MB per month free pack. Although it’s only 500 MB which is enough to gauge the speed and to have feel of the app. This is known as Little
- The paid plan Giant is $ 9.99/month for unlimited data.
- The biggest Grizzly plan comes with an annual plan with $59.88 for 12 months for unlimited VPN. This brings down the plan to approx. $5/month almost 50% less than regular monthly plan.
On each plan, you can use five devices protected. So it is considered as a good bet for the family. It is a safe bet as VPN to spend $ 60 a year. Although they don’t have a money back policy, a free trial is an option which helps the customer to get a feel for a product and app.
For month TunnelBear stores some minimal logs. TunnelBear says this about having to comply with the authorities in Canada:
“In the event with the law of enforcement TunnelBear is required to comply where subpoenas, warrants, or other legal documents have been provided. The extent of disclosure is limited to personal information you provided that depends on registration as well as an overall number of connections.”
Speed and Performance
Tunnelbear speed scores are really impressive. All the download speed in US, UK, Germany, Hong Kong scores double-digit with same capable upload speed. It provides excellent connection speeds, currently, they are coming in a 5th fastest premium VPN service in the world.They have a safe Wi-Fi password protection for public Wi-Fi and other untrusted networks.
It has servers in more than 20 countries. This helps and allows subscribers to pretend to be in any of those places to bypass geographic restrictions and local censorship. All these server locations giving well download and upload speed. Download speed is maximum from EU server although all location it is in double-digit with suitable upload speed. Canadian tunnel is the common location where you can browse VPN if any other location is not available.
We have got the mixed response when it comes to the customer. No doubt it is fast, as we talked about earlier. However, they are scripted and have links to FAQs. Actually, the swiftness in response is mainly due to these reasons. Therefore, it may not always be very helpful or relevant to your queries. They don’t have live chat facilities in their customer support neither a helpline number. The only way is email query which will be answered by the team. This has come concern due to delay in response. Only ticketing facility may not be enough nowadays to give support to so many users where the expectation is always high from the customer.